Reading the Times in California

In which I read the New York Times by myself on the west coast, and react to the news.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Monday, May 09, 2005

Music for the masses!

If only anyone in this country would do anything like putting on Wagner's entire Ring cycle for cheap. Or having a government program to train little kids. Or enabling taxi drivers to see opera.

The opera house in Manaus, Brazil was apparently built during the rubber years (I guess the local analog of an oil boom in other parts), and has, by and large, stagnated until the 60s or so. Now:

"People attend the formal productions and other events by the thousands, and the performances in the opera house generally sell out."

Hot damn! For a city of a million and a half, I'm impressed. You seem to need at least three mil to put on an even halfway-decent production (cough Philly cough) in the States.

When the festival first began, an effort was also made to upgrade the orchestra here, with musicians ... [many of whom] also agree to give master classes to young people from Manaus who are preparing for careers as singers, musicians, stagehands and dancers.

A handful of graduates of the program were among the 75 musicians in the orchestra pit on Saturday night, including Elismael Lourenço dos Santos. He is a 20-year-old clarinetist who spent his childhood in a remote jungle community, helping his father fish and farm, and had never seen a live performance by a band until he moved here as a teenager.

"To have this opportunity to play not just Wagner, but the 'Ring' cycle is a real honor and a dream, one that is still a bit hard to believe," he said Friday after a rehearsal. "If it weren't for the government's program, there is no way I could have gotten this far, because my family is not rich and could never have afforded private instruction for me."

I suppose a few scattered programs like that exist Stateside. (Wasn't there some movie about a high-school strings teacher battling for an orchestra program recently? Not to mention Mr. Holland's Opus all those years ago.) But I don't often see evidence of them.

And, finally:

"It's not at all like pagode or forro," said Abner Correa Caleu, a taxi driver, naming styles of popular music. "You really have to concentrate, and because it's in a foreign language I don't really understand it all. But I was curious to see what it was all about, and I learned two things: it's good, and I've come to like it."

Opera for the masses!

3 Comments:

Blogger Saheli said...

Did you see this article on Supersizing of the School Play? Theater for the masses! I thought it was pretty amazing that a community facing hard times would so overwhelmingly vote to support their school arts. They must really enjoy watching their kids perform. The quality sounds impressive. Didn't quite know what to make of the prayer circle before the performance (at a public school)--I mean, I guess the kids called it and if it's not an issue, you can only fight so many battles, but I kinda gotta feel bad for any nonChristian wannabe theater geeks.

10 May, 2005 19:02  
Blogger nori said...

Saw; didn't read (I get lazy on Sundays -- so much paper to read!). Hurrah for supporting the arts. My high school was great on that -- we had a Fine Arts Week where people would perform all week, to which tickets were free, but you had to get them in advace. The line stretched around the block at 6 AM every day. Now, I hear they've scaled it back to Fine Arts Day (probably kids using it as an excuse for cutting classes) ... good for New Albany's huge play.

Prayer circle, eh? Well, I guess kids have to learn to stand up for their / abstain from others' beliefs at some point. Theater isn't something I usually associate with lots of Christian kids, though -- maybe it's just Madison, but it struck me that the atheists overlapped strongly with the theatre kids. Or maybe I just didn't really know any nonatheists. (Yes, I grew up in an atypical town. Rather like Berkeley, though, as something I mean to post today or tommorow will show [again] ...)

11 May, 2005 16:11  
Blogger nori said...

(In case I don't get around to it: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/11/education/11education.html )

11 May, 2005 16:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home