Reading the Times in California

In which I read the New York Times by myself on the west coast, and react to the news.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Das Keyboard

Oh my god: they make no bones about being übergeeky, here.

In short, it's a keyboard with no markings on it, claiming it'll speed up your typing by not having the option to look at the letters. I can totally substantiate this, and I've already done so. Having switched to Dvorak, people said my speed would improve. It didn't -- here's my theory as to why:

  1. People who type a lot -- and by a lot, I mean the upper echelon of typers -- are likely to be geeks. Geeks as a whole type way more than the population at large, who use computers for sporadic email and word processing, but do not code up pages upon pages of TeX documents about obscure keyboard layouts just for the hell of it.
  2. Geeks, therefore, are more likely to develop wrist problems than other people.

  3. Being resourceful like that, geeks will look for a tech-y solution, and will find rumors of Dvorak.

  4. Those intrepid enough to try the switch will be forced to learn to type (a) with the correct fingers, and (b) without looking at the keys.

  5. Now, geeks are also the type to never have learned to ``touch-type'' in the first place. Given a manual, the geeks will take it as a challenge, and disregard it for as long as possible, trying to figure out how to work their new toys by themselves. This is why they break so much shit, and also why they end up knowing how to fix it all. Many geeks I know taught themselves to type by putting their fingers somewhere on the keyboard and moving them as little as possible to get the job done, but without much thought as to correct position, wrist angle, &c. (this is probably why so many of them developed tendonitis or carpal tunnel in the first place!). I can't tell you how many three- or four-fingered geek typists I know.

  6. In learning Dvorak, as mentioned above, these same geeks will have to learn to touch-type, unless they intend to relabel not only their keyboard, but the keyboards of everybody on whose computer they'll ever need to type. So, this will be the first time in their lives said geeks will ever learn to type both (a) with the correct fingers, and (b) without looking at the keys.

  7. It is precisely that touch-typing which brings about speed.

I learned to touch-type QWERTY when I was six years old with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. Because of that, I learned to type really fast from the outset, so I could do all my friends' typing assignments for them in school and then play QBasic Gorillas with them all class period long.

Touch-typing was not new for me when I got to Dvorak, so my speed did not increase. It did not decrease, either, but it led me to believe the speed thing is a myth.

Similarly, typing without looking will force you to touch-type. It's cool and geeky (and therefore I want one), but won't increase my speed.

I should just take some whiteout to my M$ Natural ...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you learn the keyboard positions, typing at some point enters the basal brain the way walking or swimming -- or viola or piano-playing -- does: as a direct expression of thought, not really mediated by anything your conscious brain is aware of. When I (touch) type, I'm not even thinking about keys or keyboards, just words. I think that's the same for most people who end up putting a lot of words on screens. Of course, that's not geeks: geeks put a lot of code on screens, but they're mostly not doing it at speed, because they're thinking as they go ... right, coder?

31 May, 2005 16:22  
Blogger nori said...

Sure -- when I type prose, I think directly in metalanguage-to-fingers (which is why learning a new keyboard layout was so obnoxious, and I still somehow don't feel I'm quite as fast on Dvorak as I was on QWERTY (though the speed tests seem to say I am)); when I code, I have to think about the words, becasue I haven't yet learned to think in code-metalanguage. Ahhh, one day ...

No, I was just saying that this keyboard is geeky because it's just l33t. Like, super-l33t. It implies that you're an expert computer user, and, for the majority of the population, that's enough -- they don't have to follow the hairsplitting logical path that you just did to arrive at the fact that it's not a logical conclusion that geeks can type fast. Nerd. :)

31 May, 2005 17:00  
Blogger Saheli said...

becasue I haven't yet learned to think in code-metalanguage. Ahhh, one day ...

Hehe. Just wait for the day when all this typing bull goes out the window, and you just put on a pair of goggles and a glove and drop the control statements into place. ;-)

16 June, 2005 16:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home